Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Still on the Challenge!

I haven't forgotten - I've just been so busy I haven't had time to take photos and post them to the blog! My daughter is playing softball (school & travel) so we are on the go alot lately with her - and my son is bowling in the Youth bowling league - so we're going with him, too. The great thing about tatting is.... It's portable! I can tat while I watch bowling, I can tat on the way to softball, or during delays, or sitting in the hotel at night. But enough of that....Now on to what you really wanted to see!

Motif # 5 - Triangle

I can not remember where I got this pattern - I've had it printed out for a long time from the Internet. (If you know where it came from, please let me know.) It's really simple and fun. I think it called for beads at the points and some other places, but I'm not a tatter who uses beads, so I left them off. I think it still turned out nice - even without beads. I'm still trying to think of ways to use this pattern. Perhaps I'll make it in Red and Green or White and use it as a Christmas Tree decoration. Maybe I will make lots of them and join them together to form a tablerunner.



Motif #6 - Star
I found this amazing blog with a pillowcase that I just fell in love with! http://tattingchic.blogspot.com/ - I believe you can find it under Tatted Pillow to Cushion the Blow
I have been looking for something 'fun' to tat to make into a shawl, bedspread, or even tablecloth. When I saw the pillowcase she made - I flipped! I begged for the pattern, but she couldn't find it, so I had to borrow her photos and try and tat by site - something I am not good at, by any means!! But I think it turned out ok! And it's such a beautiful pattern when joined together - I hope I can do it justice.

I am going to be working on that for a while and will post photos on another blog as work progresses.




Motif #7 - Medallion

I've had this pattern for a long time and I have never tatted it. I found it the other day and thought I'd take the time to work it up. It was so simple and quick that I made several and joined them before I even realized it!

I think this will look good as an arm cover for a chair, or headrest cover, maybe even a full tablecloth. The only thing I know is this is not finished! LOL I will come back to it soon.








Motif #8 - Edging


This pattern is from one of my tatting books. It didn't have a name, just a number. I have found similiar edging online called "Basket Weave Edging". It was great fun to tat. I had a lady ask me to make this for her dining room curtains. That's going to be fun! I love making edging - I like the way it looks laying curled in my lap, and 'dripping' from my shuttle. I also feel like I'm getting something done! I can see results.














Motif 9 - Dillmont Figure 22

This pattern comes from the http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/ site. It is in the DillmontTat book - Figure 22. It was made with a new thread color - I was darting through the craft section in WalMart and this thread caught my eye. It's DMC Size 10 - Color 5109. It reminds me of babies. I thought it would be neat to make this little medallion in this color - imgaine these joined together to cover a baby pillow, or sewn onto a white baby blanket.
The only think I am not happy with is the outside round. I am thinking of redesigning it a bit. I'll make adjustments and post the photos later.












Motif #10 - Bud Vase Doily

This is a simple, quick pattern that I worked up in about 20 minutes. It caught my eye and I decided to give it a try. You can find the pattern
http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=328 It's free - and they have several more patterns that I am going to work up, too!

Since my shuttle was loaded with the new-to-me-thread, I decided to make it with that instead of White or another color. I just adore the way it turned out. I am going to be making more of these, too.

I have more Motifs to photograph, so bear with me. I'll get them up as soon as I can. Meanwhile, I'm still tatting away!

It looks like another good day to tat!

3 comments:

TattingChic said...

Hi Amie! You're blog post came up on my google alerts...LOL! Thanks for the plug for my blog! I think you did a great job on tatting by sight. I have to do that a lot from vintage patterns or if someone only has the photo and no pattern nearby. All you motifs look great. You've been really busy! You're welcome to visit my blog anytime!

AnneB said...

Hi Amie, you have done a lot of nice tatting! Your motif #5 looks very similar to a pattern I found in a 25 years old book published by the Norwegian magazine Familien. In my pattern it was used to make a doily of triangles and medallions. You'll find a photo of the doily I made here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7597072@N04/440976837/

Old Jail Artist said...

I love the pink heart! I've been trying to tat a heart myself, but so far it's looking a little squirrelly. I made one already that looks more like a skull than a heart!